The Government has agreed to review the summonses issued against rear passengers who were caught for not wearing seat belts with a view to canceling them, said Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Seri Panglima Hj Lajim Hj Ukin. He said the decision followed the problem & understanding the rules and regulations on the enforcement of the ruling among authorities including the Traffic Police and Road Transport Department. The RTD alone has issued some 2,452 summonses to alleged offenders since the rear seat belt ruling came into force on January 1 this year, said Lajim After inspecting the site for the proposed construction of the RTD Training Academy Complex here yesterday.
Lajim was accompanied by RTD Director General Datuk Solah Hassan, Deputy Director General Ruhaizah Mohamed Rashid and PUSPAKOM Chief Executive Officer Khairuddin Datuk Haji Yusoof.
Lajim, who is also the Beaufort MP, reiterated that owners of cars not equipped with rear seat belts had been given three years to install the seat beats. He said the owners should adhere to the Government’s ruling and fix the rear seat belts in their vehicles for the sake of their safety while on the road. A public awareness campaign has been conducted on the importance of wearing the rear seat belts, according to Lajim,